GREATER THAN AND LESS THAN LESSON PLAN
1. Help students cut out two large less than and greater than signs with the felt using scissors.
2. Have your students read over the lesson together and then answer their question sheets on their own.
Or, use the lesson for your own lesson plan.
3. Each student should exchange papers with the person they sit next to. Go over the answers and let them help grade their peer's paper.
4. Once each student has their graded paper back so they can look over what they've missed, split the class up into two groups. Then line each group up and have the first student in the line hold a sign. Ask the child a question such as, "Is 9 greater than or less than 4?"
5. The first student to raise their hand can answer the question. using the felt cutouts to show greater than or less than. If the student gets the answer right they hand the felt sign to the second person in their line and move to the back of the line. If they get it wrong they hand the felt sign to the student behind them and sit at their desk.
6. If a student answers the question right the other group's student who was competing to answer the question must pass the felt sign to the person behind them and sit down. However, if the question is answered wrong they have the chance to answer it correctly, and if they do they get to go to the back of the line.
7. Play through each child until one team wins. If there is a tie both teams win. You can choose to give the winning team a prize such as stickers or what your school will allow.
Greater Than or Less Than
Elementary Math Lesson Plans and
More Math Lesson
Plans, Worksheets, and Activities
teaching material, lesson plans,
lessons, and worksheets please go back to the InstructorWeb home page.