FIND THE MISSING NUMBER LESSON PLAN
- Write the problem 3 + 4 on the board. Have students solve the problem.
- Then write 3 + 4 = . Explain that the square represents the missing part of the problem. The answer is the same answer that they found before, 7.
- Write 2 + = 7. Remind the students that the square represents the missing number. Ask what number could go in the square to make the statement true? Explain that they have to find a number that when added to 2 equals 7. (5)
- Write + 4 = 5. Explain that the triangle, just like the square, represents the missing number. What number would make the number statement true? (1)
- Write 10 = + 2. Explain that the circle, just like the square and triangle represents the missing number. What number would make the number statement true? (8)
- Repeat as many times as the teacher deems necessary.
Use the worksheet to evaluate whether students understand the concept.
Math Lesson Plans, Worksheets,
For more teaching
material, lesson plans, lessons, and worksheets
please go back to the InstructorWeb home page.