Patterns and Functions: Writing Equation Rules
Students will learn how to write an equation rule for a function table.
• Students will learn about how to write an equation from a written rule.
• Students will practice writing equation rules.
• Students will practice analyzing function tables.
Sixth Grade - Seventh Grade - Eighth Grade - Ninth Grade - including special education students
Print the classroom lesson plan and worksheet questions (see below).
I. Introduction and Vocabulary
- "In our last lesson, we started working with function machines. There were two things that we needed to do when working with our function machines, we needed to figure out the function rule, and then we needed to complete the table."
- "Who can tell me what the words input and output mean?"
- Encourage student participation. If there are a lot of blank looks, remind the students that the notes are in their notebooks and that they should refer back to their notes.
- Student answer- input is the term that goes into the machine, output is the term that comes out of the machine.
- "Good, now we organized our function machines into table form. The input is on one side and the output is on the other. What does the rule tell us?"